I think on this day I felt a new understanding of Relief Society and the sisters in my ward. After attending conference and hearing Sister Julie Beck talk about Relief Society. I realized that the Relief Society Sisters and what the Relief Society stands for comes 2nd to being my "Mother" This is a little story she told during that conference. If you would like to read the entire conference go to LDS.ORG and read it there. It was awesome.
Relief Society should be organized, aligned, and mobilized to strengthen families and help our homes to be sacred sanctuaries from the world. I learned this years ago when I was newly married. My parents, who had been my neighbors, announced that they would be moving to another part of the world. I had relied on my mother’s nurturing, wise, and encouraging example. Now she was going to be gone for a long time. This was before e-mail, fax machines, cell phones, and Web cameras, and mail delivery was notoriously slow. One day before she left, I sat weeping with her and asked, “Who will be my mother?” Mother thought carefully, and with the Spirit and power of revelation which comes to women of this kind, she said to me, “If I never come back, if you never see me again, if I’m never able to teach you another thing, you tie yourself to Relief Society. Relief Society will be your mother.”
Julie Beck
General Relief Society President
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment
If you stopped by let me know.. Leave a comment